this is passion....

this is passion....
REVIEWS

Monday, February 7, 2011

Make Do And Mend - End Measured Mile


Make Do And Mend - End Measured Mile
Location: Hartford, CT
Label: Panic Records

Make Do And Mend is:
Mike O. - Guitar
James C. - Guitar/Vocals
Mikey P. - Bass
Matt C. - Drums

I recall seeing this band with Disembodied a little over a year ago in Syracuse. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. I enjoyed the recordings I heard a great deal, but I thought their performance that night was lackluster and boring. About 2 months following that date I decided to book them with my friend Heidi along with Hostage Calm out of a simple desire to bring shows to my area regardless of how I felt about all of the bands involved musically. That show had maybe 30 kids in attendance, and they ripped the fucking roof off the place. It was like seeing a different band that night. Seeing how much emotion and energy their guitarist/singer (James) put into that set gave me chills. Both of their EP's are in constant rotation as well as their split with Touche Amore.

On their first full length and latest effort, you can expect many of the same elements that have aided in honing them a name in the hardcore/punk scene along with some new twists. Sure, the catchy hooks and melodies are still there as well as the leads and riffs that almost seem to encompass their own mood, if that makes any sense. The vocal range is the first noticeable element of this record. For some reason, James reminds me of the singer of Stabbing Westward at certain parts of the record. I'm not sure if it's just my sick obsession with the 90's distorted my auditory perception or whether or not anyone else picks up on it, but I dig it...a lot. The first track titled Unknowingly Strong to me reads like it should've been the ying to the yang that is their song Shambles on their Bodies Of Water EP. Offering an alternative perspective on hardships, pain and a message to keep wading through shit until you find solid ground.  "So you can lock yourself away. Give up, forget, go back to sleep. Or you can realize there is so much more to life than yesterday." The writing seems to be much more well thought out on this record. At times certain parts of songs like Transparent Seas mimic early 90's alternative rock bands. I can see this possibly being a groundwork record for branching away from the sonic cooking pot fans have grown to expect from them and blossoming into a more mature sound. Though some friends and fans seemed to be let down my this record, I can say for certain I was not one of them. Maybe when they get the wax out of their ears, they can learn to appreciate just how much this album has to offer.

TRACK LISTING

1. Unknowingly Strong
2. Oak Square
3. Ghostal
4. Transparent Seas
5. For a Dreamer
6. Stand Stagger
7. Keep This
8. Thanks
9. Firewater
10. Night’s The Only Time of Day

No comments:

Post a Comment